Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Tough Decisions...

A dear, but somewhat churlish girl I know from college recommended a book to me after one of my posts. The name of it is "Why does he DO that? Inside the minds of agressive, controlling men" I recommend it to anyone who deals with difficult men in any way, and especially to those who are raising our next generations of men.

Two weeks ago, I became engaged in an argument with my boys' dad. He was packing up things to be donated to a local thrift store. He did this with my 4-yr-old while I was in the bedroom nurse-/napping with my 18 month old, who frquently wakes, rooting for milk, and drowsily returns to slumber, the warmth of a tummy full of mama milk gently lulls him back to hts sweet dreams.

When i aroused from my own breastfeeding trance--one becomes content, peaceful, and very tired when nursing--I was horrified to witness the load in the car and on the front lawn: a mattress that goes with a crib that I borrowed from my sister-in-law, who most likely will want it back, a favorite nursing pillow of mine, some chairs that go with my kids' desk, and, last and best, a Christmas gift given to me years ago by my dead brother's family. He's been dead 7 months. And it is not like I have a whole lot of material thing to remind me of him.

He started nagging at me for napping. I started on him about getting rid of my stuff without my permission--believe me, this is an OLD agrument from me, it goes back to before we were even married. Staying with my younger boy and making sure he gets a long enough nap in the afternoon is part of my job as a mother. If I am lucky, I get a short, sound nap. Most often, I read OR drift in and out of sleep in some sort of limbo, waiting to hear my baby's cry so that Ican get to him before he stirs much.

No comments: